Do you see something that interests you? Head on over to this blog's new home at www.JustPlainJoy.com and subscribe today!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Simpler Time

My mom likes to tell stories about when she and my dad lived on his one salary - they only had one car, she rode her bike to the grocery store with my sister on the back, and he dug clams to provide food for the family. I'm not sure how many clams he really dug, but my hunch is they weren't eating clams every night. The truth is, it was a simpler time. Today, there are so many ways for us to spend our money. Some thing have gone up exponentially - property taxes, housing, cars, and gas. Other things didn't exist - personal computers and the internet. And then there's regular 'ole inflation. Here's how our lifestyle now compares to theirs in the 1970s.

They could camp on Hwy 1 for free.
We pay $20/night to camp at our local state park.

They had no cell phones.
We pay $65/month for our family plan.

They had one television channel (I don't know how much it cost).
We pay $33/month for cable with...um, over 100 channels.

They had no internet.
We pay $47/month for internet.

They paid $2.50 for a movie.
We pay $10 for a movie.

The average cost of a new car was $3,500 (in 1970).
Now, the average cost of a new car is over $20,000.

Other things they lived without: ipods, CDs, DVDs, Starbucks, Home Shopping Network(HSN) and QVC, personal computers, home printers, scanners, copiers, and fax machines, digital cameras, video games and gaming systems, and Netflix.

My DH and I could live without all these extras, but as a modern family are we willing to give them up? Sadly, the answer is no.

Print this post Stumble Upon Toolbar

add to kirtsy

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I sometimes feel like I was born generations after my time. I feel as though I would've fit better with my grandparents generation. I miss simplicity and I wasn't even there!