Do you see something that interests you? Head on over to this blog's new home at www.JustPlainJoy.com and subscribe today!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

10 Things I Can't Live Without

When I received a comment from Christina in response to the Blue Day Lists series suggesting a post on "10 things I can't live without," I immediately began writing my list - Gmail, my blackberry, my favorite dark-wash stretchy boot-cut jeans...And then, I stopped writing because I can live without those things.

In fact, there is very little we cannot live without. So, I started writing another list...of things I really can't live without. It took a little longer than the first list, but here they are (with comments from those who have eloquently captured their importance):

1. Hope. "If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. Love. "If you have love in your life it can make up for a great many things you lack. If you don't have it, no matter what else there is, it's not enough." - Ann Landers

3. Generosity. "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

4. Kindness. "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

5. Forgiveness. "If we really want to love we must learn how to forgive." - Mother Teresa

6. Gratitude. "When you are grateful fear disappears and abundance appears." - Anthony Robbins

7. Purpose. "I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done." - Buddha

8. Creative expression (art, music, writing). "The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." - Aristotle

9. Nature. "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." - John Muir

10. Literacy. "I cannot live without books." - Thomas Jefferson



Photo by clikchick


What would you add to this list?

Print this post Stumble Upon Toolbar

add to kirtsy

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: