Last week we drove across the country with all of our belongings in a 16 foot moving truck with my husband's project car trailered behind. J.R. drove the truck and trailer and I followed behind in our regular car, stuffed to the brim with everything that I didn't want bouncing around in a moving van like musical instruments, my computer, and the camera.
This wasn't the ordinary type of road trip where we ambled along stopping and looking - we were on a mission to make it to Michigan in one piece! We had one stressed out cat and two stressed out human beings and we were driving through some of the worst weather I've dealt with on a road trip. Parts of I-80 were completely flooded out causing delays where we were simply stopped in the middle of the freeway in a sea of traffic and water waiting for something to happen miles up the road.
Despite the stress and chaos of packing, moving, living out of a hotel and a suitcase, loosing all our pillow cases, leaving my pillow in Nebraska, and the cat crying for four days straight we made it here. Mostly intact. I still haven't found the pillowcases but they'll turn up. I think. Anyone want to mail me some while I wait?
So, how do you keep it chill on a road trip that is less a classic road trip and more an adventure to be conquered? You keep the essentials close by you in the car. You stop a lot for snacks and coffee and photos. You sing along to a really fantastic upbeat playlist. And, when all else fails, you cry in the thunderstorm in Iowa and eat at Cracker Barrel because it's the closest thing to the hotel that has food and hot cocoa.
For your listening pleasure I put together the fifteen songs that I listened to the most on our way out to Michigan:
1. Tablo - Eyes, Nose, Lips (cover)
2. The National - I Should Live In Salt
3. James Vincent McMorrow - We Don't Eat (Adventure Club Re-Mix)
4. Lana Del Rey/Cedric Gervais - Summertime Sadness (Radio Remix)
5. G-Dragon - MichiGO (This was our joke theme song because we were Michi-Going)
6. Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
7. Alt-J - Matilda
8. Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks Skeet Skeet Remix (super old song but such a good driving song!)
9. Calexico - Man Made Lake
10. Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna
11. Taeyang - Ringa Linga
12. The National - Graceless
13. T.O.P., Taeyang, and G-Dragon - Hallelujah
14. Fleet Foxes - Montezuma
15. Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams